The works on the North of Spring Hill Road Improvements project included the following key elements:
- Clearing and grubbing;
- Excavation in all materials and embankment construction;
- Installation of sub-soil drains;
- Extensions to culverts;
- Pavement overlay using granular materials
- New Pavement construction;
- Installation of new Tensioned Wire Rope Safety Barrier;
- Application of sprayed seal;
- Installation or relocation of traffic signs
- Provision of road markings; and
- Reinstatement, upgrade of accesses.
Latent ground conditions and sub-grade issues proved to be
challenging. The VEC crew acted quickly and managed a tight
program to replace 1km of unsuitable materials to construct the
The Mud Walls Road Junction project was to deliver safety improvements and pavement strengthening to the junction of Mud Walls Road with the Midland Highway. The scope of works included elements such as:
- Installation of temporary signing and control of traffic to safely segregate road users from construction activities;
- Pavement construction;
- Guideposts installation;
- Traffic islands; and
- Pavement markings.
There were some supply challenges due to the quantity of works concurrently occurring on the Midlands Highway, with all the Contractors heading towards the same Practical Completion deadline. The VEC Project Management team were able to solve these issues and deliver the program before the critical winter deadline.