The Derwent River is approximately 1100 metres shore-toshore at the location of the bridge. The overall length of the bridge is 1,411 comprising of 52 spans, 21 of which are over the Derwent River.
The bridge was originally opened to traffic in 1964. in 1975 a ship collision closed the bridge and it was reopened in October 1977 after rebuilding and widening. As a result of the ship collision, spans between piers 17 and 19 were replaced with a steel box girder construction. In addition, the concrete span 20 and piers, 17, 19 and 20 were also rebuilt.
The project includes the supply and installation of a Cathodic Protection System to selected pier columns and the repair of steel, concrete and miscellaneous defects.
For the Tasman Bridge project, VEC constructed a ICCP (impressed current cathodic protection) structure. To enable VEC to place this system we were required to remove the existing redundant cathodic protection.
This project has also entailed steel repair and the continuous preparation work for the cathodic protection.
All small concrete patch repairs were identified and then repaired and cataloged. As part of the concrete repairs VEC were required to shotcrete and finish the hydro blasted area.
Hydro demolition additionally played an important role in the project. Skills that involved working at heights and above water were essential to the success of the Tasman Bridge project.
Additionally, ancillary steel work repairs and structural concrete repairs were constructed.
Finally, VEC provided additional cathodic engineering resources to the project to assist moving through a difficult specification.