There were many challenges involved in this particular project, including but not limited to:
- Logistics with 49 Sites, spanning 700 km’s between Emerald, Winton and Clermont;
- Plant and Equipment, mobilisation, maintenance and suitability;
- Precast Elements fabrication in Rockhampton, and delivery on program;
- Materials, procurement from quarries and concrete suppliers and the procurement of consumables;
- Personnel, recruitment, accommodation, transportation, and OH&S.
Two solutions were designed to complement the site specific
- Removal of the existing timber bridge structure and replace with a precast concrete bridge structure.
- Removal of the existing timber bridge structure and replace with a precast concrete culvert structure.
VEC had to create an innovative design that met the design elements, including client standard specifications, site specific selections, construction duration, availability of materials and plant selection.
To enable the team to do this, extensive planning and programming was required before works started onsite. Many aspects needed to be carefully planned and thought through, including but not limited to:
- the Critical Path Network for the programming;
- scheduling and coordinating of bids for closures;
- procurement scheduling and coordination with suppliers; and
- a detailed planning for our Human Resources, recruitment, accommodation and travel.
This was then all tailored to the project specific requirements to ensure a successful delivery of the project.
Health, Safety, the Environment and Quality also played a vital role throughout the project. VEC had a dedicated HSEQ coordinator onsite through the duration of the project who ensured that all the HSEQ requirements were fulfilled.
The collaborative approach together with the Client, Queensland Rail, is essential to the success of this project. VEC’s innovation and the dedicated team work from the crews have resulted in the successful delivery of the repair and replacement of the Queensland Rail Timber Bridges in Central West Queensland.