The existing bridge was constructed in 1958 and comprised of two concrete slabs each spanning 13m over the mouth of Wrinklers Lagoon, supported by a central pier and abutments. The existing bridge was 6.7m wide, which was sufficient for traffic but did not allow for safe pedestrian movement. The existing structure had been identified for replacement due to evidence of severe chloride ingress which compromised its load carrying capacity.
The new replacement bridge is a 22m single span Super-T structure allowing for two 3.0m wide lanes with 1.0m sealed shoulders on both sides and a 1.8m wide pedestrian walkway (located on the western side of the bridge). The works also included pavement match-ins on both sides of the new bridge and the construction of a temporary bypass.
The project included demolition of the existing concrete structure in an environmentally sensitive coastal environment and the construction of a 30m temporary steel truss bridge to carry traffic during the project.